Youth Martial Arts Program
Youth Martial Arts Program
The Youth Martial Arts Program for 6 to 12 years of age is designed around the student that wants to:
- Develop mental, emotional, and physical strength to obtain their goals
- Obtain the confidence to take the appropriate action when required
- Make goals and keep commitments
- Follow instructions
- Use self-awareness, self-belief, self-confidence, and self-discipline as an opportunity enhancer
- Build new “good” habits
- Learn to exercise
- Prevent bullying in their lives
- Not allow anger to get the better of them
- Understand the difference between right and wrong
- Understand the reasons for living a healthy lifestyle
- Defend themselves on the ground and standing up
The Attitude First Martial Arts Academy (AFMAA) Youth Martial Arts Program is an energetic and practical martial art skill development program for children between the ages of 6 and 12. We have built the program around our three major areas of strength, confidence, and health. Our goal is to provide the youth entrusted to us with the understanding to have discipline, protection, and empowerment; our Youth program helps children understand their own concerns while addressing the goals desired by parents.
Students learn how to use their martial art skills, techniques, sets, and forms to protect themselves from bullies as well as strangers. In addition, students learn how to use the martial arts for sportsmanlike competition.
At AFMAA and in the Youth Martial Arts Program, belts are never given…they are only earned. Our belt system helps children to understand responsibility, goal setting and consequences through tangible awards. Every belt requires the student to be tested on the knowledge and skills taught in class.
Some of the qualities your child will develop in our Youth Martial Arts Program include:
• Development of fine motor skills, coordination, and symmetry
• Improvement in muscular strength and flexibility
• Understanding how to focus their attention to various motions of their body
• How to think critically about how to overcome challenges and obstacles
• How to see the benefit of hard work and dedication
• How to pay attention during extreme intellectual challenges
• Trying their hardest and putting forth 100% effort
• Believing in themselves through focus and concentration
• The importance of standing up for what is right
• Building the ability to lead others
• The ability to maintain confidence and effort when challenged by others
Our young martial artists have the opportunity to learn the American Kenpo Martial Art system. Kenpo is a self-defense system that incorporates hand strikes, kicking, submission grappling, and weapons with a realistic approach to defending oneself in a modern world. They will exercise their skills by learning Forms, Sets, and Freestyle. There will be ample opportunity to also explore competitions.
Each of these classes is specifically designed to work with the students on how to command and win when defending themselves on the ground. The class is specifically designed to ensure each student has the skill and knowledge of successful grappling. It is important to note: No experience necessary. If the student has a great attitude, they are welcome.
This class will help selected members achieve a champion mindset in their art and ultimately in their lives. It is designed around providing experiences that will push the member’s comfort zone of what it takes to be a Black Belt. Please note: It will affect all five fitnesses of the member’s mind, body, and spirit. Members wanting to be a part of this class must be pre-approved (and stay approved) by Mr. Robinson – it is not based on age or rank, as much as maturity, commitment, and attitude.
Freestyle is an exciting form of training that allows the participant to use their skills in a competitive arena. Classes focus on the specifics of competitive fighting, forms, grappling, and full contact competitions. Freestyle is also highly recommended as a fun and exciting form of exercise and conditioning for individuals that want to get into shape fast (even if they have no desire to compete).
This class is helping Youth and Teens take on the additional responsibilities of leading portions of a class. They will learn about instructing students for all ages.